1st February 2024
Simple tips to help you maintain your Invisalign aligners.
What are Invisalign aligners?
Invisalign aligners are a popular and convenient alternative to traditional braces for straightening teeth. They are custom-made, clear plastic trays that are worn over the teeth to gradually move them into the desired position. Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible, making them a discreet choice for orthodontic treatment. They are removable, allowing you to eat, drink, brush, and floss more easily compared to traditional braces. Invisalign aligners are typically worn for 20 to 22 hours a day, and each set of aligners is worn for about two weeks before being replaced with a new set.
How to clean your Invisalign aligners
Cleaning your Invisalign aligners is an important part of maintaining good oral hygiene throughout your orthodontic treatment. Here are some simple steps to keep your aligners clean and fresh:
- Rinse: Whenever you remove your aligners, rinse them with lukewarm water to remove any saliva or debris. Avoid using hot water as it can warp the aligners.
- Brush: Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a mild, clear antibacterial soap to gently brush your aligners. Avoid using toothpaste, as it can be abrasive and scratch the aligners. Brush both the inside and outside of the aligners thoroughly.
- Soak: Regularly soak your aligners in a denture cleaner or Invisalign cleaning crystals to keep them sanitized and odor-free. Follow the instructions provided with the cleaning product and never use hot water or mouthwash for soaking.
- Avoid staining substances: Certain foods and drinks can stain your aligners, such as coffee, tea, red wine, and strongly pigmented foods. It is best to remove your aligners before consuming these substances to prevent discoloration.
- Brush and floss: Brush and floss your teeth before putting your aligners back in, as this will help maintain good oral hygiene and prevent bacteria from getting trapped between your teeth and the aligners.
By following these simple cleaning steps, you can keep your Invisalign aligners clean, clear, and odor-free throughout your treatment.
Foods and drinks to avoid while wearing Invisalign aligners
While Invisalign aligners offer the convenience of being removable, it is important to be mindful of what you consume while wearing them. Here are some foods and drinks to avoid:
- Sticky or chewy foods: Avoid foods such as caramel, chewing gum, or gummy candies, as they can damage or get stuck in your aligners.
- Hard foods: Refrain from biting into hard foods like raw carrots, apples, or nuts, as they can potentially break your aligners.
- Sugary foods and drinks: Minimize your consumption of sugary foods and drinks, as they can increase the risk of cavities and tooth decay. If you do indulge, make sure to brush your teeth and clean your aligners thoroughly afterward.
- Acidic foods and drinks: Acidic foods and drinks, such as citrus fruits, soda, or vinegar-based dressings, can erode tooth enamel. Removing your aligners before consuming these substances will help protect your teeth.
Remember, it is crucial to remove your aligners before eating or drinking anything other than water to prevent damage and staining.
Regular check-ups and adjustments for your Invisalign treatment
Regular check-ups with your orthodontist are crucial to monitor the progress of your Invisalign treatment and make any necessary adjustments. Here’s why regular check-ups are important:
- Monitoring progress: Your orthodontist will assess the movement of your teeth and ensure that your treatment is on track. They may make adjustments or provide new sets of aligners as needed.
- Addressing concerns: Regular check-ups allow you to discuss any concerns or discomfort you may be experiencing. Your orthodontist can provide guidance and make any necessary changes to ensure your treatment is progressing smoothly.
- Maintaining oral health: During check-ups, your orthodontist will also assess your overall oral health and address any issues that may have arisen during your treatment. This ensures that your teeth and gums remain healthy throughout the process.
By attending regular check-ups, you can ensure the success and efficiency of your Invisalign treatment.
Book your Invisalign consultation today to start your journey towards a confident and healthy smile.